




December 2005
The Taum Sauk reservoir in Reynolds County breached, spilling 1.3 billion gallons of water through the state park, injuring the park superintendent and his family, destroying the park and damaging the East Fork of the Black River and the lower Taum Sauk Reservoir. The wall of water, estimated between 10- and 20-feet tall, dug a 6,000-foot-long gash into the tree-covered mountainside.
I remember the first time I saw that thing. We drove on some windy country roads to a little park. I was escourted to a large concrete wall and instructed to climb the stairs leading to the top of the wall. I did. I reached the top and peeked over the edge, it looked like the ocean! I am NOT kidding. It was probably the most erie thing I have ever seen. I immediately wanted to leave, as I exclaimed, "that thing is gonna break." Enough said.
No comments:
Post a Comment